|Boars Head (Tiverton)
Grand Passage (Brier Island)
Brier Island ( Brier Island)
These three lighthouses are on Digby Neck and Brier Island.
Boars Head lighthouse, atop dramatic cliffs near Tiverton, overlooks the restless waters of the Bay of Fundy. It was established in 1864 to guide local shipping into Petit Passage.
Grand Passage stands above basalt cliffs at the northern tip ofBrier Island. The woods and fields around this lighthouse are the best places on the island to view migratory birds in the fall.
The Brier Island lighthouse is one of Nova Scotia 's oldest lighthouse sites, established in 1809. The present red-and-white striped tower replaced an 1832-vintage structure, which burned to the ground in 1944 after spilled kerosene caught fire. All these lighthouses are excellent spots to have a picnic and watch for whales, dolphins, and porpoises.
Directions: Take Route 217.
Boars Head : turn right at Tiverton. At 0.2 krn (0.1 mi.) there is a gate, which is usually closed. Park and walk to the light. Grand Passage: from the ferry dock on Brier Island turn right and drive to the end of the road.
Brier Island: turn left from the ferry dock, on Brier Island. Drive 0.6 krn (0.4 mi.). Turn right onto Wellington Street, drive 0.7 krn (0.5 mi.). Where pavement ends turn left onto a gravel road at the sign for Western Light, and travel 3.7 krn (2.3 mi.) to the lighthouse.
||Grand Passage: from the ferry dock, turn right and drive to the end of the road. |
Islands Historical Society
Ms. Joanne Whitenect
PO Box 67, Freeport, NS, B0V 1B0
Tiverton and Central Grove Heritage Assoc.,
Boar`s Head Lighthouse,
c/o Barry Buckman, P.O. Box 645, Tiverton, NS, B0V 1G0