Fort Point Lighthouse (LaHave River)

Lighthouse Details
44° 17' 15.84'' N    -64° 21' 6.23'' W
  • Home
  • Lighthouse Interractive Map
     This is a lighthouse to visit. Visitor Info44° 17' 15.84'' N    -64° 21' 6.23'' W    Google Map

Photograph courtesy Chris Mills

The old Fort Point Lighthouse

Fort Point, LaHave River, is one of the most historic places in Nova Scotia. In 1632, a large fort defended by 25 cannon was built on the headland, which reached further out into the ocean in those days, by Isaac de Razilly. He had been appointed Lieutenant Governor for all of New France by King Louis XIII. LaHave was, therefore, the capital of New France until Razilly’s death in 1636. After that, most of the inhabitants went to Port Royal (on the other side of Nova Scotia near Annapolis Royal). The fort was destroyed in 1653 or 1654 by Emmanuel LeBorgne and the ruins have since washed away.

The Lighthouse

In 1876 the Canadian Government erected a lighthouse with an attached keeper’s dwelling on the point. It served as an aid to navigation for mariners in Dublin Bay and LaHave River until 1954. The red, fixed light was visible all around for eight miles. The lighting apparatus was three flat-wick lamps and one round-wick lamp, all with reflectors. At some time before it was demolished in 1954, the lighthouse was equipped with a refracting lens. The lightkeepers used a hand operated foghorn in thick conditions and received extra pay for answering mariners signals.

For over 65 years the keeper and his family lived in the small house, shown above, attached to the lighthouse. In the 1940‘s that house was torn down and a separate keeper’s dwelling was built.


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
Kathy Brown Source: Lunenburg County Historical Society

Fort Point Lighthouse (LaHave River)   Specs at a glance...


Body of WaterLaHave River
CountyLunenburg
RegionSouth Shore
Scenic DriveLighthouse Route
Tower Height35
Height Above Water48
Still standing:False
Still operating:False