Burntcoat Head Lighthouse

Visit A Light Detail
  • Home
  • Visit A Light Information
Burntcoat Head Lighthouse Scenic Route: Glooscap Trail
County: Hants

45° 18' 36'' N
-63° 48' 24'' W

Description:A combined lighthouse and keeper's house was once a common design in Nova Scotia. Originally established in 1859 to guide shipping into Cobequid Bay, the first lighthouse at Burntcoat Head was eventually cut off from the mainland after 50-foot Bay of Fundy tides wore away the narrow neck of land connecting it to the shore. A second tower was built in 1913, but by 1972 the light was discontinued and the tower burned. In 1994, the East Hants Tourism Association obtained plans for the second light and within a few months a replica had been constructed. The lighthouse is located in a small park on the shore and contains an interpretive centre featuring the history of the lighthouse and the geology of the surrounding area.

Parking available. Disabled persons can get close to lighthouse Picnic tables available. Washrooms available. Entrance by donation. Guides or information boards. Walking or Hiking Trails Scenic location.